We are about to start a brand new year as 2018 is quickly approaching. This is a good time for designers to reflect on their success (or lack thereof), as well as think about what we can do to improve our business in the new year. This is the perfect time to put together a plan of attack for 2018.
Here’s a short list of some great resolutions you can make to grow your business and bring you closer to your business goals, whatever they may be.
- Design for your niche! Whether it is feminine, minimal, tech, or so on. Find your niche and stick to it.
- Make sure it’s responsive. Did you know that more than 50% access the web via mobile? This is why responsive web design is a must.
- Create a realistic business schedule and stick with it. Whether it’s the typical 9-5 or totally different hours. Stick to them!
- Buy or download a planner and use it regularly. Planners are SO helpful when it comes to staying organized.
- Increase your pageviews with advertising, networking, and content marketing. This can also help with recognition.
- Create better quality designs and content. Quality content is so important at helping you get noticed on the web.
- Increase your social media following and presence. Make friends and socialize! This is super helpful for business, and for your well being.
- Give your site a refresh! De-clutter your sidebar, update your about page, refresh your site design, and so on.
- Rid yourself of the scope creep, or clients that don’t pay on time. No one has time for unappreciative clients!
- If you design for WordPress, learn to design using the Genesis Framework. The Genesis Framework offers clean cut coding built with SEO in mind.
- Remember to give yourself time to relax. Do not work 24/7. This is so crucial in helping to prevent designer burnout.
- Show your customers that you appreciate them by offering them a discount on future theme purchases!
I hope this list helps you as it has helped me. I plan to stick to this list in 2018 and I hope all of you do too.